Sunday 11 December 2011

Experiment Time;; Layering Nail Polishes! ♥♥

Hey all! So I was playing around with my nail polishes, deciding what to do next, when I decided to play around a bit. I painted all my nails different colours  and went over them all with the same colour to see if the polish over top would pick up on the tones of the polish underneath.

Here are the five colours I chose to layer underneath...



The reason I chose these colours were because they are all quite different in tone and lots of levels of bright and dark. The colours are, from pinky to thumb...

-Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Black Out
-Rimmel 60 Seconds in Silver Bullet
-Rimmel 60 Seconds in Night Before
-OPI Polish in Pamplona Purple
-OPI Polish in Colour so Hot it Berns



The first colour I chose to layer over top was New Year's RedSolution, by Sephora by OPI. When I first used this polish, I really liked the colour, but I felt it lacked intensity, just a little punch. 

You can see on the nails how putting a different base colour underneath can really change a colour, but in some instances it doesn't do much. The neutral light silver and the red did not enhance the colour so much, due to the neutrality and the closeness in tone to the top colour. The middle finger with Night Before underneath looks the coolest to me. The contrasting base really added another dimension to the colour.



So just for fun, I did the same thing on my other hand with Orly's Lunar Eclipse over top. The same colour were used underneath in the same sequence. Again, I like the Night Before base the best... It would seem that the darkest of the bases are doing the most difference to the overall look.

So that was my little experiment with colour! I'm sure this would be a lot more effective were you to use more sheer polishes to get more of a colour mixing effect, but this is really useful for intensifying a polish you just don't find punchy enough. (:

Thanks for reading along, much love to you all!
Dylan ♥♥